Thursday, July 14, 2016

#BAUniC:movie:scene026-027 - Fired!

Scene026: Department boss' office.
Almost all pauses and body-language are removed, but the scene drags slower to match reality and audience expectation for such events. To be decided in natural scene evolution between body/face/voice actors and director during recording and montage, with reserved hand/eye gestures to direct focus to sponsored content. Plenty of space to fill in desks, walls etc, for product placement.

______________________

*Knock*

B: Enter!

*Entering... door closes out of camera view, fixable delay for allowing one other person to be present without being shown. A row of chairs is shown by the wall behind E while entering. This description will be adapted upon character creation/introduction.

B: Take a seat.

*E, takes a seat. Muffed sitting sound. E Looks briefly sideways to where door is supposed to be. More muffed sound of somebody sitting.

*looking, getting comfortable/uncomfortable, delays to heighten audience tension*

B: We are not happy with your performance, Mr? E.

E: Where exactly is the problem, please?

B: This report for example *papers on a paper clip shown from hand to E*

E: You actually printed that?

B: This report is incomplete.

E: What information is missing?

B: And presented in an inappropriate way.

E: And you fixed that, apparently, as you needed. But, what information is missing?

B: And you had plenty of time to fix that, as asked.

E: Which I declared I would not, did not I? Is there any problem with the cyclic parameters? Or the actual values?

B: You were asked something specific!

E: But unrelated to my tasks... 

B: I don't like how you slack off during job hours.

E, pausing the direct semi-interrupting responses: My job requires 9 parts thinking, and 1 part acting. I am not slacking off.

B: And I don't like your attitude.

E: This does not affect my job performance, only your impression of it.

B: Impression or not, we have a problem with you, and you need to do something about it.

E: I am doing my job as intended, and completing my tasks on time. If you wish on top of that for me to pretend keep working for the sake of appearances, you are talking to the wrong person, and I am fine with being replaced. I will find another job with another boss and other requirements, and you will find someone who takes 4 hours to complete what I can do in half an hour, and be happy they are working their ass off.

B: This is what I mean by your attitude. Shooting off the final threat, where we can talk improvement...

E, interrupting: Calling black black, and white white, I don't see a problem here..... (intentional long pause from the E character, to pressure B, intense looking)

B, after holding back reply one and a half times, semi-attempts at conversation,: What will you do to fix the aforementioned issues?

E: I can mind my own business less conspicuously after finishing my tasks.

B: That will not do.

E: What do you propose?

B: There is plenty to do around here. Your direct supervisor will find you tasks fitting your abilities.

E: So, let's discuss about compensation for those extra activities.

B: What?!

E: Since you are requiring more of my attention and soul, it is fair to demand more coins for it, right?

B........ That is not going to happen.

E: Likewise, extra tasks, not going to happen.

B: Mr. E, you are an employee of this institution, and while you work for us, you will do what you are told.

E: Maybe then it is time to find someone to replace me...

B: Are you looking to get fired?

E: Absolutely not.

B: Then why do you ask for a wage increase when you don't want a wage increase?

E: As I said, discuss. Which means you put a value to it, and I suggest you hire extra personnel to do the tasks for the extra value you are prepared to pay me...

B, interrupting: Dejavu, Mr. E. I am told you have used these arguments already.

E: And I still don't see a flaw in these, but no answer either.

B: This is not a cooperative attitude.

E: And you are going to do about it, what? As I said, I am fine with it, suggesting it even.

B: What your supervisor sees in you, I can't understand.

E: Doing complicated tasks on time, readiness to engage in full power when the situation requires it, *shushing B with a finger up as 'one moment please, let me finish'* no, filling in my time with more tasks is not the situation requiring it, it is you requiring it, and I am not fine with that.

B: How can your supervisor stand you all day...

E: Maybe some people need to be in the company of those not afraid to explore the uncomfortable truths, just like some people would rather surround themselves in deception.

B, getting angrier, brief glares, lips, but nothing said.

E looks to the side, but now camera is there for a direct look: I know this is not a good example to my fellow colleagues, but *looks at B* this is my life and more tasks means more mental draining, despite my ability to handle them if wanting to...

B: Your friendship with your supervisor is not going to save you forever.

E: Maybe it is helping the post and your need for me, rather than me, or maybe my friendship is earned by loyalty in a non-abusive relationship,,, Or, if I feel like being frank, your friendship _with whoever_ is keeping you in a position you are not giving me the impression of being fit for, because it sounds like projection.

*sound of 'ah?!' in a voice similar but not quite B's, while the camera is focused on E*

B, sighs, continues: Whatever, Mr. E, ... while on our payroll, you will do as the workplace demands you to do.

E: I am doing it. I don't want to do more. Hire more people if having more work to be done.

B: You are here now because you are not doing it!

E: And where am I failing?

B ... first eyes widened, then angry, then cliché: While here, you will focus your attention to issues relating to here!

E: Hah! Not even in jail one is supposed to...

B (continues): and not any of your whaco projects of...

E, flips down a family photo of B, landing face down on the desk: you too... outside of work, do as you please... 

B slams palm on the desk angrily: That's it! You're fired!

E: My lawyer will continue this conversation...

E stands and walks to the door. Quick exit. Firm closing of the door. Steps continuing outside. Silence.


(scene may continue if we decide to introduce a pupil character, learning from E's ways but not ready to pee upwind, yet)

(scene is absolutely not a good example to teach the corporate workforce, but the audience will love it, so it stays. Anyone more interested in keeping workforce under pressure conditions, valuing form over content, are free to not use any of the allocated sponsor slots)



________________

Scene027

________________

E enters his office and slums into his chair.

Supervisor: How did it go?

E: I'm fired, haha!

S: No, you're not!

E: I know. You, or the head of this institution, can fire me like that. The others, even if on the direct hierarchical path, can only suggest. Strongly maybe, but the big boss is no fool, and you are not either.

S: Just let 'em blow off some steam. They are under pressure too, and their incompetence does not make it any easier.

E: I would rather not waste time and nerves dealing with these issues, though, or rehearsing answers to possible attacks.

S: Yeah... but at least you are not worrying like a couple of years ago.

E giggles: And spreading this inner peace to those willing to listen.

T: You are not that peaceful.

E: On the path to peace, sometimes even confrontationally.

S: Much better than G on the other office, indeed I would put him up for a promotion and example, if they did not insist so much it is not the case.

T: And E not wanting a promotion anyway.

E: What for? I live a simple life, and my pleasure comes from stuff way outside of the routine of life. Money is barely to keep surviving a little longer. Transcendence may be at the door, no?

T: No.

E: Let's agree to disagree. Still, seeking no money, and surviving head of department after head of department.

S: Because they would rather have you as a trusted tool that may feel rough on their hands, but reliable, instead of someone with a similar mindset to theirs, or one of the bunch of fakes around.

E: Hehe, yeah, that too, but if it had not been for you, they would not care enough about this institution to lower their pride and accept their mistakes, and would have managed to convince the general directors it is my fault for all that is wrong here.

T: I think S would not be able to save me if I acted like you did...

S: If you acted like E, you would gradually become E, and therefore I would be saving E in his latest representation, muhahahaha

(scene ends with all of them laughing. Scene may continue and develop according to sponsored changes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment