Thursday, July 21, 2016

#BAUniC:movie:scene037 - Group Thinking

#BAUniC:movie:scene037
______________________________


R: Where would you place your foot, on a plank that has been there for a while, looking decrepit and old, overused, or a new plank?

K: Um... new?

R: Wrong! If it was overused, and you have got the clarity to think about it, you will be careful to not break it while it will hold you like it held those before you. The new plank may be badly positioned, disbalanced, slippery, or lacking additional support for minor weight adjustments which would roll the plank and its related components into a lower entropy state able to handle more people stepping over, but it would do it at the inappropriate time.

K: Yeah, I get it. But the new recruits are fine.

V: For the job they are being assigned to, not for everything you wish to assign them.

K: Aren't you being a little paranoid?

V: No, just the right amount, which is a bit more than a little, but it has served me well over the years.

R: So, anyway, I think we are splitting up, and for non-serious issues. We work well together, their output matches our input needs, and our table transformation formulas match their loops. We are simply diverging on ideology.

K: Are they diverging too, or just keeping their balance because you come too strongly at it?

R: Maybe balance, but, trust me, I am holding back. I don't want to scare them straight away.

V: They have been around a while now. If they haven't reached the conclusions by themselves, they should have at least got the hints from the group. I don't think you should bother.

K: I don't think I should bother either. But I don't want them to keep censoring themselves to adjust to group thinking.

R: I am censoring myself, my own lines of thought, to keep them in line with our common objective. Not that I would not like to know more on other directions or fear distracting you, no, it is just that we need the focus, and this focus requires sacrifice. If I was alone I would do poorly in either direction. At least this way I got a shot at something beyond what we have achieved so far. We got a shot.

*Phone call attracts the attention of all present*

R: Weird... nobody actually calls, not me anyway.

V: See what they want.

*R picks up the phone*
R: Um... hi?...

Phone: Greetings... we are calling about the internet problem you have reported. Are we talking with the correct number?

*R puts phone on mute: I don't think this is a genuine call, unless some granny has given the wrong number. Maybe is a prank call.

V: Yeah, but don't put it on mute, or they will catch up on it.

R: Shhh, then.

*R, unmutes phone: I think so, but I got a neighbor seeing the problem... maybe you can talk to him?

Phone (hesitant): ... alright ...

*R passes phone to K. K gestures: what? why? but accepts the phone*

K: Hai... this is Kev. The computer just does not get on the internet. Shows a yellow rectangle on the network card icon.
*phone chittering continues*

R, whispering: So, focusing on one line of attention, or the other, maybe getting on with it later...

V, whispering: I am curious about this

K, covering mic, whispering: He's telling me to change DNS servers. At best this is a prank inspired by click bait rewards. At worst they are trying to social engineer themselves into people's computers.

R, whispering: Tell them it still does not work. If you get online and it does not swim through their altered DNS, they will know. Worse if we try it their way.

K, whispering: I know... don't worry.

V, whispering: Maybe play in a virtual machine?

R: Nah, too much bother for a prank call.

K, on the phone: Ok, going to the router. Off. This is what the other guys from your company said. Are the field technicians coming still, or you can do something from there?

K, on the phone: Lights are on as usual. The cable is pulsating... wait, now it is on. Online turned on also.

R, giggling: And we have fiber.

K, on the phone: Still nothing... waiting for response... switch? Where? *looks around*

V: pssst, you are pretending,,,

R: haha, he got too involved in the role

K: Oh, I see what you mean. I found it. 3 cables, 2 lights on.

K: No, it did not turn on. Maybe this is it?

K: Alright, I will remember to report back on that site you said as soon as the technicians fix the router... can you spell it out please, I need to write it down.

R: Are you actually writing it down?

K keeps writing, finishes: Alright, thank you. ... I will ... thank you.... *coming closer, voice on the phone is overheard 'have a nice day Sir'* ... you too.

K to R: He seemed, well, a bit on the bright side. I may be tempted later to drop him a floating ring, see if he can put his mind on to a more productive cause rather than hacking people.

V: Does he deserve it?

K: That's why I wrote down the link. If it is a malicious viral attempt, nope. But if it is more on the 'slow but just gathering clicks' or even a zombie computer attempt, maybe. We used to do those things way back as well.

R: And not always commanding our zombie armies for the righteous causes.

K: Most of the time, though.

V: Alright, try recruiting the wannabe hacker. Maybe you will change his life.

R: Oh, that will be sure, but in which direction?

V: Even suicidal depression facing the grandeur of infinity, acceptable risk.


No comments:

Post a Comment